Sunday, April 1, 2018

You've Got Mail #83: A Cracked Bat

A while back on Twitter (a month nearly by the time this posts), I mentioned that everything that could possibly go wrong in one day did. My five year old had a 102 degree fever and couldn't keep any food down, I had a $1200 car repair bill in my future, and a host of other minor issues. Not long after that, a padded mailer arrived from Julie at A Cracked Bat with a nice little note of encouragement. It had been a while since I received anything from Julie so this was a nice, welcome surprise.


2018 Topps Heritage was the last thing I expected to see included. I'm guessing this has to be near the entire Indians team set, or darn close to it. 


My three favorite Indians cards of the batch, Encarnacion, Lindor, and would you look at that ... another Jay Bruce Indians card! I think I like that one more that the Series 1 card. Yes, I know I showed the Encarnacion card in my Heritage post.


Some Reds Heritage cards were thrown in too. Too bad star pitching prospect Tyler Mahle has to share a rookie card with middle reliever Jackson Stephens, who didn't exactly set the world on fire last year with a 4.68 ERA in 7 whole games last season. Again, I know some of these cards were previously featured in my Heritage post, the pictures were already in the can and the cards have already been filed.


Heritage wasn't the only thing that was included. These green crystal 2013 Panini Cooperstown parallels are pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure I've got the base cards of each so the parallels will go perfect with them. Also, when was the last time you saw Edd Roush on modern cards?


Some miscellaneous Indians cards, including a framed Earl Averill parallel from last years Diamond Kings set. The most curious thing there is the card of Ron Wollenhaupt, the trainer of the Waterloo Indians. I had no idea TCMA was making cards of single-A Midwest League teams in 1982, let alone for a team in the middle of Iowa. If your curious, the 1982 Waterloo Indians, finished second in the south division in 1982, 4 games behind the Quad Cities Cubs.



Here's some of last year's Topps Chrome set which I can proudly say I didn't buy a single pack of. It was nice to see the Reds lock up Eugenio Suarez with a nice long contract, I wish they'd do the same for Adam Duvall. 


Much like this envelope was a surprise from Julie, getting an autograph card included was another surprise. I don't have too much in the way of auto's and relics from the Indians. Also, it's a 1987 style card, I can't really complain too much.

Thanks for the cards Julie! These definitely made a pair of bad situations much better. As for the problems I mentioned earlier, it turns out that my five year old had an adverse reaction to his booster shots but he slept it off and was better the next day. My car finally got fixed too and now I have AC in it again for the first time in two years! It's the little things.

1 comment:

  1. i love spreading joy, esp to the most deserving! Enjoy that AC!

    ReplyDelete