Saturday, April 7, 2018

A Steal of a Retail Deal (continued)


As I mentioned in my last post, I scored a whale of a deal on some packs. I'll save explaining the details again but suffice to say, four of these packs ended up being free thanks to coupons. The rest, however, were not and I had to fork out $2.99 for each pack of six cards. Also, is it just me or has Mike Trout been the cover person on every Topps product this year, save for Heritage? Regardless, I'm excited to tear into some GQ as I enjoy it every year.


Keeping with tradition, my first card of Gypsy Queen, Charlie Blackmon of the Rockies. I'm not sure how I feel exactly about the design this year. It feels kind of like the design from last year although a simple GQ logo has replaced Gypsy Queen. The border color is the same so it feels kind of bland. Still, better than Donruss this year although of the four Topps products I've sampled this year, I'd kind of put this near the bottom.


One thing I do like about GQ is the fact that it's more kind of art based. I always like to find cards in GQ where the colors just pop, like these. The old school yellow uniforms of the Pirates and the home whites of the Orioles. 


A few random cards of Dansby Swanson and Yoan Moncada. 


Speaking of cards that just pop with color, I love the way the red just pops on these cards and I really dig that Twins uniform.


Now for some inserts, first there are these Fortune Teller inserts. These are ok, I guess.


And these tarot card style inserts. These have a really different texture and feel of anything else in the pack.


Oh yeah, my best card of the eight packs ... my first Shohei Ohtani card! While I know I'll never be able to afford high dollar cards of his, I'll settle for base cards and inserts.

I'm not sure if I'll be picking any more of this up unless I can find singles for a decent price (as in like living in a dime or quarter box). It's decent this year but I think the design as I mentioned is a bit bland, however, I will say that my expectations are high every year for the design as I expect it to be as good as 2015 and nothing yet has come close to it.

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to get one of those tarot cards in hand at one point. They look very interesting.
    Thanks for sharing your packs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom! Nice Ohtani pull! The tarot cards are very cool, too. And it does seem like Topps is putting Trout on every wrapper - The Angels In Order will have to confirm that, he collects Trout/Angels wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tarot cards. I don't care much for the base Gypsy Queen set from any year, but sometimes it has fun inserts and I like the autographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Ohtani! I sadly didn't have any luck pulling that one from my limited GQ breaks. And man are those Tarot inserts awesome. I've said it many times before -- I've never been a huge fan of GQ's base cards, but they sure know their way around an insert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang it. Wish I hadn't seen those Tarot inserts. Makes me wanna go out and grab a blaster. Oh... and congratulations on pulling an Ohtani rookie. Even as an A's fan... I was secretly hoping he'd shock the world and pitch a perfect game today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been drawn to GQ. While I like the design this year, the checklist kept me from buying more than a few retail packs. No Altuve inserts! really??? how is this possible? Parallels, relics and autos don't count.

    ReplyDelete